We all know that a woman’s job is never done. There is always something to do on that darn To-Do list. If you are the type of gal who has a lot going on, you may find it difficult to wind down at the end of the night. Speaking from experience, there have been many a night when the “monkey mind” just won’t simmer down. To state the obvious: falling asleep is HARD.
Self care comes in many different ways, and sleep is a big way you can help yourself be your best self. If you haven’t already tried, we encourage you to try meditating in the evenings right before bed. Meditation has been known to increase alertness, slow the signs of aging, increase overall happiness by way of self-awareness and acceptance, and a slew of other benefits that merit a Google search. In a nutshell, once you get this practice down, you will LOVE it!
In honor of the sacred sleep practice we have put together a couple of tools to help you develop a great bedtime ritual or enhance the one you already practice. After each of the tools have been highlighted, we lay out 6 steps for creating a bedtime ritual that can help you shift into a calmer state of mind.
Smudging Kit – California sage and abalone shell – Retail $20
When you need to wash away the worries of the day, burning sage is an instant mood changer. People have been burning sage for centuries because of its healing and cleansing power. Burning sage can be part of an elaborate ritual or very simple. It’s really up to the user. What is super important is to set a clear intention before you light the sage. Whether it’s to revitalize the energy in your home or to cleanse your aura or someone else’s, be sure to set the intention before you burn your sage.
- Burn prior to meditation or prayer.
- To burn small amounts before a short ritual or achieve a light aroma, break off small pieces and place in the abalone shell.
- Arrange the leaves into a small pile and light the dry leaves directly. The flame will go out and they’ll start to smoke.
- To cleanse your home or get a more robust aroma, light the tip and blow out immediately.
- Set the smoking end inside the shell holder and let the aroma fill the air. A little smoke goes a long way.
To cleanse your home start at the farthest corner of your home and go through each room to cleanse the energy. Remember to set the intention for a home cleansing before you start and hold on to that intention throughout.
Guide the smoke through each corner and work your way out of the room and move on to the next. Imagine you are gathering all the energy and sweeping it out the door. Repeat this process for all rooms until you end up at the front door. Return the ashes to the Earth after your ceremony has ended.
To care for your abalone shell just clean out with a damp paper towel. Do not use any harsh cleaners as this could strip the coating and weaken the shell’s surface.
To learn more about the sacred home cleansing practice, click here.
Each kit was handmade and sourced with love, right here in California.
CLEAR QUARTZ CRYSTAL – RETAIL $12
Clear Quartz Crystal – Retail $12
A must have in every crystal collection! This crystal is loved for its healing and energy regulating properties. Hold onto this crystal while meditating, praying, or manifesting. Keep in your home or office to clear negative energy, physical or emotional. To recharge its power, place your crystal on a windowsill under the full moon. Each one of our subscribers gets a unique crystal that was personally cleansed and charged under the full moon! Below is a guide on using your crystal and smudge kit together.
Follow these 6 steps to create a bedtime ritual that helps you shift into a calmer state of mind:
1. Make sure your phone is off or on “do not disturb mode” and away from your body.
2. Light a candle and turn off the lights.
3. Mentally or verbally, set the intention for a calm state of mind. You can say anything you’re move to say, but something like this could work:
“I am grateful for this day. I am releasing any thoughts that do not serve me while I prepare for a good night’s rest.”
4. Burn some of your sage or palo santo.
While you take in the aroma and your eyes adjust, your mind is experiencing sensory changes that are paired with mental and and soon physical changes. This is a very powerful and subtle detail that is worth mentioning. You are essentially training your mind to behave a certain way after you prepare for meditation. Each time you do this it will become easier to switch your mind into this mode.
5. Sit or lie down with your crystal in hand. The crystal helps to magnify any intentions set by the owner.
6. Close your eyes and take a deep breath through your nose and feel yourself growing tall will your first slow inhale. Exhale slowly through your mouth. Imagine you are blowing away all the troubles of your day. Repeat this step 10 more times. If you lose count it’s ok. Stop once you feel like you are ready.
Once you feel like you are calm and relaxed, say thank you and blow out your candle. Hope into bed and rest well. DO NOT pick up your phone or check it. You can do it!
THE WILD SPROUT – GRAPEFRUIT BODY SCRUB – RETAIL $16
Wake up to the eye opening aroma of citrus and grapefruit in the shower! This is magic in a jar; full of hydrating oils and gentle exfoliating rose kaolin clay. Removes impurities while revealing healthy, radiant skin. Perfect for showing off this dress season.
We are really loving the Wild Sprout, and we hope you do to! Be sure to check out some of her other products here.
- 100% Natural
- 100% Vegan & Cruelty Free
- Organic, Fair-Trade Certified, & Non-GMO ingredients
- Handmade in small batches in Oklahoma
INGREDIENTS AND BENEFITS : * Organic
- Virgin coconut oil *
- Pure cane sugar *
- Vitamin E oil
- Rose kaolin clay
- Grapefruit essential oil *
- Vitamin E Oil: It is essential for healthy skin growth, repair, and protection. In addition, Vitamin E oil prevents against premature aging and wrinkling of the skin.
- Coconut Oil: Contains saturated fats which help to keep the skin smooth to the touch. Coconut oil also helps the skin retain it’s moisture content.
YOGI GREEN TEA – RETAIL $6.55
Invigorate with green tea energy! This is a staple here at Diosa HQ because it’s healthy, tasty and keeps us going. A powerful alternative to coffee that’s loaded with antioxidants, keeps your weight in check (bonus!), keeps free radicals at bay, lowers blood pressure, and even kills cancer cells!
We decided to add a little variety this month, piggybacking on the white OR turquoise bracelet option we featured last month from Salt and Spice. You will either get the Green Tea Energy blend or the Green Tea Antioxidant blend. BOTH are so amazing and wonderful to drink mid-day.
What’s great about these teas is they are strong enough to make as an iced tea! Just make a hot cup of tea like normal. In another glass or tall cup, fill it to the top with ice cubes. Once the tea has cooled to about room temperature, pour the tea over ice and enjoy!
RISE / SHINE – RETAIL $8
It seems you can’t look through Instagram or Facebook without seeing essential oils everywhere! We love them as much as the next gal, so we wanted something effective, versatile and of course, stylish. Rowsie Vain has an incredible aesthetic and the “less is more” look that we are so in love with. If you haven’t seen her around check out on on instagram a @rowsievain. The RISE/SHINE blend was made in partnership with Rosie Vain to boost your mood and brighten your day with the magic of essential oils.
This delicate oil blend rolls on smooth without a greasy residue. Although it can smell one way when you sniff the roller ball, it has a completely different scent after the oils have blended with your own unique body chemistry. What first smells floral turns into a mild sweet and citrus scent. The pop of orange and grapefruit is perfect for perking you up when you feel the 3:30 yawns coming on.
Ingredients and benefits:
- Sunflower oil, used as a carrier oil to dilute the other essential oils. It has a light scent, is easily absorbed and leaves very little oily residue.
- Calendula flower petals, which were hand picked, dried, and placed in the tube one at a time.
- Essential oils (EO) of pink grapefruit has a bright, clean scent that promotes balance from everyday mental fatigue, tension, and stress.
- EO of honeysuckle, which is well known for its sweet and long lasting fragrance.
- EO of lemon has a citrusy and sharp aroma that can rejuvenate your mood and promote healthy function of your urinary and digestive systems.
- EO of sweet orange peel can help to clear stagnant thoughts, reduce nervousness and anxiety, and strengthen your focus.
- EO of lime is another great mood booster with bright citrus notes that aids in refreshing a tired and listless mind. Great for increasing concentration, relieving nervous tension, and feelings of lethargy.
- EO of litsea has a lemony and medium fruity fragrance that can help deepen your breathing while letting go of nervous exhaustion and tension.
- EO of mandarin helps to calm the nervous system and uplift the mood while relieving tension and promoting feelings of calmness.
LEMON + ROSEMARY FACIAL TONER – RETAIL $13
A delicious smelling toner that uplifts the spirit and leaves your skin bright and clean. This evening toner is perfect for brightening complexion, tightening pores and a great prep before moisturizing. This batch was custom made for Diosa Box without the use of preservatives to maintain our all natural ingredient standards. That is something we are really enjoying about working with smaller businesses. The attention to detail and customer satisfaction is amazing! We hope to find more makers that are willing to work with us on this and hopefully, more and more self care items will ride the wave of 100% natural!
Besides the amazing smell, this toner is a wonderful way to remove the last bits of dirt and makeup from your face after cleansing. Unfortunately this size didn’t come with a spritzer, but if you can get your hands on one that fits, it’s pretty refreshing right after a wash. Otherwise you can use with a cotton ball and gently apply with a cotton ball. Because this is a citrus based we recommend testing on your skin to test for any skin sensitivity. The citrus may tingle a little bit, but it should feel cool and refreshing.
A toner like this is good for cleansing more so than moisturizing, so be sure to follow with a rich night time face cream or oil. We are still very much in love with the Nourish facial serum from Queen City Alchemy. You can order one from our one time shop, and members save 15% on all single purchase items.
Ingredients & Benefits :
- Distilled water
- Witch hazel,
- Lemon essential oil**
- Rosemary essential oil, lave
- Shrinks pores
- Balances skin pH levels
- Removes traces of grime, dirt, and oil that cleansing often misses. (Especially helpful if you wear makeup!)
- Refreshes the skin
As instructed on the bottle, this is recommended for nighttime use due to the citrus essential oils in the toner. Some people may experience more sensitivity to the sun after using citrus oils on your skin. So, it’s just safer to use at night to avoid any risk of sun damage to your skin.
To learn more about The Pines Apothecary, check out her Etsy store here.
We hope you enjoy your Sacred Sunshine Diosa Box this month! Let us know what your favorite item was or say hi in the comments below! We love to hear from you and appreciate the feedback 🙂
Love and Light,
Nicole, Creator of Diosa Box