Are you ready for summer, Diosa? With the Juno’s Protection Diosa Box you are definitely on your way!
Inspired by Juno, a Roman Goddess known as the protector of Women, we wanted to deliver some essential tools to help you go into summer, prepared and ready to have all the fun safely and happily.
This month’s box is valued at $88. (Corrected from the previously listed $83) Get yours here and get $5 off with code “JUNO” at checkout!
Unlike chemical sunscreens, that leach toxins right into your body, Beauty by Earth has crafted a natural sunscreen that provides a layer of mineral based protection that sits on top of your skin. Safe for kids and no waiting to jump in the water. Just apply and enjoy!
If this is your first time using a mineral based sunscreen, then Welcome! We understand it can be a DAUNTING task if you don’t know what to look for, but making the switch is so much better for your health in the long run.
Below is crash course in what you need to know about sunscreen.
The key point to remember is that no matter what you choose to use, sunscreen should protect more than it damages.
The Beauty by Earth 25 Sunscreen is a great non-toxic low SPF formula that can be used daily. It’s safe for children, people with sensitive skin, and reef safe, so you can enjoy your favorite snorkeling spots. It offers enough protection during daily activities without completely blocking skin’s ability to convert Sun exposure into Vitamin D – necessary for all humans.
Just make sure to shake well, apply liberally and rub it in well. You will see a slight whiteness on your skin but this is how mineral based sunscreens work. They sit ON TOP of your skin rather than in your skin. Test a pea size amount on your face and spread evenly.
THE PROBLEM WITH COMMON SUNSCREENS
In recent years there has been a ton of developing research on the toxicity of common household sunblocks and their roles as hormone disruptors. The main concern is the chemical ingredients known as Oxybenzone and Octinoxate, which are found in most humans who use sunblock. It’s even found in breast milk. The real problem here is there isn’t enough information regarding the effects of long term exposure to chemicals like these. We do know they lower testosterone in males and they act as a weak estrogen in women, causing reproductive issues like endometriosis.
Another related issue is that the FDA is grandfathering in old ingredients from the 1970s that were considered safe when sunscreen safety first started rather than retesting them. In studies conducted by the Danish EPA, it’s stated, “There isn’t enough information on the ingredients in sunscreen and their link to cancer. Sixteen of the 19 ingredients studied had no information about their potential to cause cancer. And while the published studies suggest that several chemical filters interact with human sex or thyroid hormones, none of the ingredients had sufficient information to determine the potential risks to humans from hormone disruption. ” (Danish EPA 2015). So we are kind of in the dark about how dangerous this stuff really is. However, we do know that Melanoma is on the rise, seeing patients as young as 30 years old, and most commonly it affects women!
QUICK TIPS! INGREDIENTS AND DILUTION MATTER
- Basics: Sunscreens are either made of chemicals or the sun reflecting mineral, zinc or a combination of the two.
- The dilution of Zinc Oxide in each batch is extremely important! Without having the CORRECT AMOUNT needed to act as a sunblock can be more dangerous since the other ingredients act as an oily magnification for the sun.
- You want to see “NON-NANO Zinc” listed as the active ingredient. A nano particle will enter the bloodstream but a non-nano particle will not. For that reason, non-nano is safer than the mineral Titanium Dioxide, which is normally micronized, and chemicals that enter the bloodstream and alter DNA, like Oxybenzone, Homosalate, and Octinoxate, which you’ll want to avoid as well.
- Zinc Oxide needs to be at a concentration of 10%-20% with a bare minimum of 5% to be safely effective. (Beauty by Earth is at 14%)
- You want to AVOID the ingredient “retinyl palmitate,” a Vitamin A derivative. Although Vit. A is a powerful antioxidant, it should only be taken orally as a supplement or better yet, as antioxidant rich foods like carrots, spinach, and fish. Recent studies have shown that retinyl palmitate causes phototoxicity and can increase your risk for sunburn! At it’s worse it can act as a photocarcinogen – meaning that it can speed the development of skin tumors and lesions on sun-exposed skin. Not good.
LISTED INGREDIENTS IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER:
Organic Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, Organic Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Organic Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Vegetable Glycerin, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Organic Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Oil, Organic Beeswax, Organic Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Organic Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Organic Calendula Officinalis (Calendula) Flower Extract, Organic Vanilla Planifolia (Vanilla) Fruit Extract, Organic Camellia Oleifera (Japanese Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis Leaf Extract Magnesium Sulfate, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Pulp Extract Vanilla Tahitensis (Vanilla) Fruit Extract, Zinc Oxide (Non-nano)
AVOIDING DIRECT SUN EXPOSURE IS BEST
- Practice safety in the sun by wearing hats and protective clothing.
- Stay in the shade or carry a fun parasol.
- Make sure your sunglasses protect against UVA and UVB rays.
- Eat sun fighting superfoods the help protect you from the inside out.
- Reapply sunscreen every two hours. SPF 25 allows for 80 minutes of sun time, but you should reapply after you towel dry yourself. Remember, it sits on top of your skin, so drying off will take it off.
LET’S BE REAL…
We all want to limit the amount of toxic ingredients we put on and in our bodies. But, let’s be real, we won’t always have access to toxic free sunscreen when we need it! How many times have you said, “Can I borrow some sunscreen, I forgot mine?”
Exactly. So if your skin will be exposed to the sun for long periods of time, use the least harmful product you can get your hands on. Read the label and make an informed decision. If for a day or two, you have to slather yourself in sunblock containing some of the chemicals listed above (until you do get yourself a non-toxic formula), it may not be as bad as going without any for the sake of “purity” and getting a sunburn that could potentially put you at higher risk for skin cancer down the road.
In this case we are compromising on mild exposure to a toxic ingredient versus the fact that the sun’s UVA and UVB rays will burn your skin and that can put you at risk for developing skin cancer.
If you are still on the fence about using mineral based sunscreens and you want to use the chemical based sunscreens, this article has a practical outlook on “everyday use sunscreen” vs. “occasional use sunscreen”, examining all natural sunscreen and sunscreens that use a combination of chemical and mineral ingredients. Again, looking at the best case scenario.
No matter what our stand is, we aim to inform and provide our readers with as many resources on this topic so you can educate yourself and make the best decision that works for you. Your happiness and safety is our number one concern, not brands.
This organic cooling lip balm is handmade in small batches by M+A Naturals using nature’s best ingredients known for keeping lips hydrated and protected from harsh weather.
At the bottom of the lip balm is a thin layer of pink himalayan salt. Eventually it mixes together and it’s purpose is to deliver minerals to your lips. This has a nice glow to it so you can also apply as a natural gloss or under lipstick for a bold summer look.
This is a very unique lip balm being perfected by Marisa, the owner of M+A. who believes “in caring for your self through actively listening to your body and intuition.” Head over to their website here to learn more about this brand inspiring women to live and care for themselves holistically.
INGREDIENTS + BENEFITS:
- ORGANIC COCOA BUTTER – Protects against cold & dry weather, keeping your lips smooth and nourished. The emollient properties of cocoa butter act as a protective barrier by supplying and retaining moisture in the lips and skin. Cocoa butter also contains antioxidant vitamins A, C and E, which can help slow the signs of aging. Pamper your pucker with a cocoa butter lip balm daily to keep lips well-moisturized and soft no matter what Mother Nature has in store..
- ORGANIC BEESWAX – Plays an important role in moisturizing and protecting you from harsh weather. Beeswax actually aids in the healing process, so you can say au-revoir to cracked, dry lips.
- ORGANIC COCONUT OIL – Locks in moisture to keep lips nourished and smooth.
- ORGANIC CASTOR OIL – Moisturizes and nourishes your lips, helping you stay clear of fine lines.
- ORGANIC HONEY – Naturally brightens and evens out lip color. Also great to add a natural plump to your lips making them look bigger, and brighter.
- ORGANIC VITAMIN E – Helps get that beautiful color back to your lips, while making them smooth and supple.
- ORGANIC ESSENTIAL OILS – Included in lip balm for a subtle minty fresh scent.
With the latest outbreak of Zika Virus, protecting you and your family from mosquitoes and the diseases they bring has never been more important. Depending on where you are in the country, summer can be a mosquito breeding ground.
While living in the Caribbean, Tricia, the creator of the The Box Plant had a very real need to make a bug spray that worked. We’ve found the best products are great because they are being developed by a super mom or family member with a lack of safe and effective remedies available to them. In most cases it’s a mom trying to provide relief or comfort to their baby’s sensitive skin or in this case, prevent family members from the Zika virus!
What’s great is this also protects from fleas, flies, bugs, spiders, beetles, and bedbugs – which have also been on the rise in recent years.
Finally! No gross chemicals to choke on before enjoying the outdoors mosquito free! Getting a mouthful of chemical laced bug spray is the worst! Rest assured each ingredient in The Box Plant’s Bug Spray Oil is 100% natural and safe for you and your family. This oil blend absorbs quickly and smells like a forest of Eucalyptus trees. If heading outdoors, be sure to reapply every couple of hours.
The main ingredient acting as an insect repellent is Neem Oil, which is plant derived from the Margosa Trees native to India and Asia. It’s used in many Ayurveda medicines and has a ton of beneficial homeopathic uses and remedies, including pet flea control, fungal remedies, and dandruff control just to name a few.
INGREDIENTS + DIRECTIONS
- Sunflower oil
- Coconut oil
- Neem oil
- Essential oil blend
DIRECTIONS: Shake well before each use and apply generously to your skin.
Use code “SUMMER2017” and get 10% off your first purchase with The Box Plant. Expires August 31, 2017. Visit their Etsy store here to discover more natural plant based essential oil blends and sprays. Free shipping on all domestic orders.
The biggest summer culprit looks like this: Drive to all the places, do all the things, get surrounded by all the people, sleep less than 8 hours, feel “extra tired” one day, then get sneezed on by someone who’s not sick and “just has allergies.” Don’t let that ruin your summer! Practice preventative care with Nature’s Nectar when you’re feeling “extra tired.”
This herbal supplement has worked it’s magic around here and when deliveries keep this Diosa up till wee hours of the morning, lack of sleep is the quickest way to weaken the immune system. I’ve had this in my bag since I got it and reach for it when I feel I need a boost.
In a glass of water this actually tastes quite nice and is mildly sweet, delightfully unexpected!
INGREDIENTS + DIRECTIONS:
- Grain alcohol(40%-70%)
- Extracts of Echinacea purpurea
- Glycyrrhiza glabra
- Zingiber officinale
- Astragalus membranaceus
- Sambucus racemosa
- Mohonia aquifolium.
DIRECTIONS: Take 30-40 drops (approximately one dropperful) in a little water up to 3x-4x a day to boost immune function. For best results, take for short periods of time when you feel your immune system needs support.
* Contains alcohol and should not be consumed by women who are pregnant or nursing.
Use code 10AGAIN and save 10% off your first order with NIU BODY!
Protect your skin and eyes from harsh makeup removers that burn and strip your skin, leaving it dry and irritated. Niu Body’s combination skin formula makes this perfect for regulating oil production during the hot summer months while not drying you out.
Without getting too scientific, the main ingredient here is in fact coconut oil. But as we all know, not all oils are made the same. In this case we are seeing coconut oil in a new way, perma-liquid!
Fractionated coconut oil, also called “liquid coconut oil,” is a form of coconut oil that has had the long-chain fatty acids removed by way of hydrolysis and steam distillation.
Amazingly, this process allows the oil to retain its wonderful healing and moisturizing benefits without becoming solid at room temperature. Super annoying when you are down to the bottom of the jar during winter time.
INGREDIENTS + BENEFITS
- FRACTIONATED COCONUT OIL – The magic behind all NIU BODY makeup removers, this oil easily removes even the toughest waterproof makeup while hydrating and keeping wrinkles at bay.
- YLANG-YLANG OIL – Stop counting sheep and start catching zzz’s! This oil calms nerves, reduces anxiety, and stimulates relaxation, all while reducing skin inflammation and oil production.
- ROSE GERANIUM OIL – This fragrant oil really packs a punch! It fights bacteria to clear up skin, and also smells like a divine bouquet of citrus and rose, transforming your bathroom into a little secret garden.
DIRECTIONS : Pour desired amount of cleansing oil on cotton pad, or cotton swab to remove dirt, oil, and makeup. Reapply as needed, makeup should come off smoothly. This is all about protection, so don’t rub too hard. Gently massage into skin and remove excess with cotton pad. If needed, rinse skin to remove excess oil. Store in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight.
Do not use if allergic to ingredients or sensitive to coconut or essential oils. As always, do a test patch on your skin before using.
Juno’s Protection would not be complete without this black tourmaline beauty from Adam Rabbit. Known as “THE” protection stone, it also helps promote grounding, health, happiness, luck, and positivity – so you can enjoy the summer!
Most stones and crystals go up on a shelf, an alter, or tucked away in a pocket. The Diosa in us all wants a gemstone that we can show off and love wearing! So an awesome jewelry piece felt only right at the start of summer. Adam Rabbit is such an amazing shop, you will want to buy everything! …You’ve been warned.
Black tourmaline is a great stone to keep close because of it’s protective qualities. Great for those who are in contact with a lot of people throughout the day like nurses, teachers, or for those of you who work in busy offices.
We are made of energy, and contact with people puts us in a position to receive energy and exert energy – good or bad. Just think of those people who have a calming presence. Amazing right? Well this is for those other people. The not so calming people who come around and just drain the energy out of you. Or maybe they come to you and dump negative energy by complaining about everything or telling you about every bad thing that “always happens” to them.
Keep this on your left hand and keep the positive energy in and the negative energy away. Not only with this repel other people’s energy but it will also absorb and keep your own negative energy flowing out.
To preserve your black tourmaline stone, it’s best to avoid getting raw stones wet, or they will start to chip. Be careful not to drop it or it will break. These are natural gemstones and should be handled with love and respect.